Thursday, June 14, 2007

Fireboat

We love the library, we really really love books. We visit our local library once a week, rain or shine,we are there. Always looking for new books to read, new adventures to go on. I saw this book Fireboat and I thought hey, that looks a lot like one of our favorites Little Toot. So we took it home. It wasn't like little toot. It a very sad book. I cried streams of tears just trying to get though it. Carter didn't understand. How could he? He wasn't even conceived when 9.11 happened. He is 3 years old. Explaining my sadness was difficult, but I was honest. And the book had a good ending. But still said. I didn't even know they made children's books on the subject, imagine my surprise! I think it would serve as a great resource for families and kids who were directly effect by 9.11 and maybe as a gentle way to approach the subject matter in an older child, a MUCH older child. This is one that's NOT going on my most wanted list ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AGREE! Imagine my shock reading to him for the first time at bedtime routine. POW there it is all about 9.11. It was hard to read, I found myself choking over the words for a couple of minutes, I made it through and didn't make a big deal over. But, phew... the surprise, and more than the shock of not being prepared for the subject matter, the connection that I still felt and how it brought that kind of emotion to the surface, so quickly. It goes to show that it will always be in our hearts and on our minds, I would assume much like the Pres. Kennedy or Martin Luther King assassination must be for others.....

Angie said...

I haven't heard of this book. I'll make sure I stay far away from it though. I watched the coverage day and night for many months after it happened. Jacob came into the living room once and said "Mommy, is the firetruck show still on?" That's when I knew I needed to pull myself away from the television.

I've seen a few books in our school library about 9.11 but I haven't read any of them. I see the books about WWII, Vietnam and Korea all the time but the first time I shelved a book about 9.11 it was a total shocker.